As the seasons begin to change here in Calgary, we compiled a list of local adapted and inclusive sport and recreation programs that are launching this month:
Calgary Adapted Hub powered by Jumpstart supported programs:
- WinSport Adapted MultiSport:
- Mount Royal University & Alberta Cerebral Palsy Sports Association: Boccia
- We want you to give boccia a try! Join us on Sundays from 6-7 p.m. beginning November 7 at the MRU Stanley Gymnasium. Boccia is a Paralympic sport that can be played by anyone, with or without a disability. Originally designed for people with cerebral palsy this skill and strategy game is very similar to curling or lawn bowling. Athletes can throw, kick or roll the ball down a ramp to play.
- Repsol Sport Centre Active Energizers – coming soon!
- This 6-week totally inclusive program is set to take place each Saturday from 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. at Repsol Sport Centre starting January 15. The program is designed for ages 5 -12 to experience a new sport/activity each week. Registration now open or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
More Community Programs:
- Calgary Wheelchair Basketball: Have a Go Day: Come try Wheelchair Basketball at Mount Royal University on November 6 from 1:30-3:30 p.m. in their East Gym. Ages 14 and up, all equipment provided, all skill levels welcome. Contact: email@example.com
- Sight night Calgary: A fun run after dark, vision optional running event on November 13th.
- Ultimate Para Sport Association
- Special Olympics Calgary: Registration is open for sport-specific programs for individuals ages 8 years and older.
- CADS Calgary Provides opportunities for people with disabilities to experience the joy of learning, participating and competing in alpine Snowsports. Lessons take place from 6-9 on Sunday evenings from January through early March, at Winsport Canada Olympic Park.
- Rocky Mountain Adaptive winter programming is open for registration! RMA is partnered with many local organizations to provide opportunities for individuals with a disability to enjoy Alpine and Nordic snow sports in the Bow Valley. RMA adapts equipment, techniques, and presentation of instruction wherever needed, relevant to each individual needs. The Winter season starts mid-November and typically ends the last week in May.
- Ringette for All for children with cognitive and/or physical disabilities. Any player, aged 8-18, with a developmental and/or physical disability is welcome.
- SuperHEROS Hockey is open to youth ages 7-17 with cognitive and physical challenges and like all HEROS programs, is completely free.
- Volt Hockey: Registration is open for 2022 programs! Volt hockey programs run in 6-week sessions. Though Volt was created to support individuals with disabilities and/or specialized needs, it is an inclusive sport. We accept family registrations (i.e., siblings that may or may not have disabilities) so siblings and/or friends can play together.
- Calgary Power Hockey League: The Calgary PowerHockey League (CPHL) is dedicated to providing a quality adaptive hockey program for all persons 12 or older who require the use of an electric wheelchair for daily mobility
- Yogabilities: YogAbilitiesyyc offers a variety of yoga classes; from the traditional yin and yang, vinyasa flow, beginners, one on one classes, kids yoga, and specialized classes! We specialize in teaching children and adults with Special needs adaptive yoga/stretching. All abilities and all ages welcome!
- Osuna Karate (Karate-Able): The program aims to include individuals with motor, cognitive sensorial and mild behavioral challenges in the practice of traditional Karate-do.
Keep an eye out for more winter programs from these associations:
- Mount Royal University Wheelchair Basketball
- Repsol Sport Centre Swim Abilities
- University of Calgary Child Adapted Swim Lessons
- Mount Royal University H2Able Swim Program
- Autism and Aspergers Friendship Society
- Alberta Sports and Recreation Association for the Blind winter sports
- Calgary Sledge Hockey Association
- AMP Academy Sledge Hockey
- Wheelchair Rugby
- Bloom Wellness Dance Programs
- Vecova’s Aquatics, Health and Fitness Programs
Know of a program that you think we should include in this list? Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
November 3, 2021 | Partners News